A DUI conviction is a serious offense that carries significant penalties. If you recently got arrested for drinking and driving, you may worry about your future, your finances, your reputation, and your employment. Although you may experience difficulties in the coming days, there are several steps you should take to protect your interests following a DUI arrest.
- After the police arrest you for drinking and driving, do not engage them further or try to argue about their decision to arrest you. Once law enforcement decides to arrest you for DUI, there is nothing you can do to change their mind.
- Write down your record of the arrest as soon as possible. This can help you preserve the details of what happened before, during, and after the arrest before you start to forget.
- If there was someone who witnessed the arrest or was with you shortly before, gather this information. For example, if you left a friend’s house or a restaurant before the arrest, an account from someone else could prove helpful during your case.
- If you are scheduled for a DUI hearing, do not miss this appointment. If for some reason you cannot make this appointment, notify the court system as soon as possible.
- Most importantly, talk to an attorney about your case. Following a DUI, an attorney can represent your interests and potentially mitigate the consequences of a conviction.
If you need an attorney after a DUI arrest, we want to talk to you at Arnold Law Offices. Contact us today to speak with one of our lawyers.