There are many times throughout a person’s life when they might find themselves in need of legal advice. Some of these situations may be exciting, such as getting married or adopting a child, whereas other life circumstances can be more bitter or frustrating. In any case, if you’re about to make a major change that will impact your family, getting a family law attorney is probably a good idea.
A family law attorney can help at any stage in someone’s life, so their area of expertise is quite broad. However, here are a few of the most common scenarios in which it’s wise to consult a family law attorney before taking further action:
- You want a prenuptial agreement. A prenuptial agreement, also called a prenup, is often recommended for engaged couples with vastly different assets, but it can be reassuring for any couple. It’s basically an agreement to sort out each person’s assets to determine who is entitled to what in the event of a divorce later on.
- You want to adopt a child. Adoption can be a lengthy process, but a family law attorney can help you sort out the paperwork and help you through the entire application.
- You’re filing for divorce. A family law attorney can be an unbiased third party to help couples who are separating sort out their differences and part ways as amicably as possible.
- You have questions about alimony or child support payments. If your ex owes alimony or child support but hasn’t been making their payments, a family law attorney can help you get the payments you were promised.
- You’re ready to draft your will or estate plan. Preparing for the end of your life can be an intimidating process, but it’s essential to make sure your will is properly drafted. An improperly drafted will may not be honored after you’ve passed away. A family law attorney can help you accurately write your will to minimize your worries.